★★★★★ 1369 Reviews: The BEST #Recipes >> Garlic Soup
A hearty, fortifying garlic soup recipe made with roasted and sautéed garlic along with potatoes, shallots, and fresh herbs.
Yield : 4 serving
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil , divided
- 2 large heads hardneck garlic (12 – 15 cloves each), divided
- 1 large shallot , peeled and sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 1 quart rich stock – chicken, beef, or vegetable
- 4 sprigs each fresh thyme and parsley , tied with twine
- 2 medium russet potatoes , cut into 1-inch cubes
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Trim root end off one head of garlic. Set cloves, trimmed side down, in a small, oven-proof ramekin. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil and a pinch of sea salt. Cover with foil, set on a rimmed baking sheet, and slide into oven. Roast garlic for about 15 minutes, or until garlic is soft, but not at all brown. Once garlic is done, carefully remove foil and set aside to cool. When cool enough to handle, slide cloves out of their skins and reserve.
In a heavy bottomed 2- or 3-quart pot, heat butter and 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium heat. Trim, smash, and peel remaining head of garlic. Add cloves to pot, along with the sliced shallots, a pinch of sea salt, black pepper, and chili pepper flakes. Sauté 2 - 3 minutes, then turn heat to low and cover; cook, stirring occasionally, cook for about 30 minutes.
- You can find complete recipes click here!